TS 16949:2002What is TS 16949:2002?
Deemed as an international quality system requirement specifically formulated for the global automotive industry.
It is an ISO technical specification developed by the International Automotive Task Force, in conjunction with the members of the ISO Technical Committee-TC176.
This particular supplier criterion incorporates the quality system requirements of the auto makers of the United States, Germany, Italy & France, with the object of having a single document & registration scheme that is acceptable to the European and the US automobile industries, alike.
TS 16949 encompasses the quality specifications of Ford, GM & Chrysler’s QS-9000, the German automaker’s VDA6.1, the French EAQF and the Italian automotive standard AVSQ.
It details the fundamental, sector-specific, quality systems requirements that sustain continuous improvement and emphasize defect prevention while simultaneously reducing the magnitude of variation and waste in the supply chain.
Development of Fundamental Quality Systems that Provide for:
- Continuous Improvement.
- Defect Prevention.
- Reduction of Variation.
- Waste in the supply chain.
Coupled with Customer-specific requirement that may apply, the specification defines the fundamental quality management system requirements for those who subscribe to this document.
Intended to avoid multiple certification and to provide a common approach to Quality Management System (QMS)
Benefits of ISO/TS 16949
- a) Fosters improved product & process quality.
- b)Provides additional confidence for global sourcing.
- c)Formatted to allow easy conversion to ISO9001/2008.
- d)Eliminates the need for multiple third party registrations.
- e)Advantageous to the up gradation of existing quality systems.
- f) Reduces variation, waste & improves the overall efficiency in production levels.
- g)Incorporates the best lessons learnt from the global automotive realm.
- h) Provides a common platform to address worldwide quality system requirements.
- i) Ensures a global quality system approach in the supply chain for supplier/subcontractor service consistency.
In Conjunction with ISO 9001:2008, TS defines the Quality Management System requirement for the design/ development, production and where relevant installation and servicing of automotive related products. Is applicable to production and service part organization sites where customer specified products are manufactured.
Is applicable to remote locations, which however cannot obtain stand-alone certification. Applicable throughout the automotive supply email@example.com